Facial Plastic Surgery Statistics
Cosmetic surgery is on the rise in the United States, with over 17 million procedures performed over the last year. Out of those, how many were facial cosmetic surgery procedures?
Dr. Fredric Newman discusses facial plastic surgery statistics and explains why so many patients choose to undergo these treatments at our Darien, CT practice.
The following statistics were reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. This information reflects the current trends and how they compare to years past.
Top Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures
In 2017, 1.8 million cosmetic surgery procedures were performed. Two of the top five procedures were facial cosmetic treatments:
- Rhinoplasty: In 2017, approximately 218,924 rhinoplasties were performed in the United States. This treatment, also referred to as a nose job, reshapes and recontours the nose to achieve optimal facial aesthetics and symmetry.
- Eyelid surgery: Also known as blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery removes excess fat cells and sagging skin to achieve a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance. In 2017, approximately 209,571 surgeries were performed in the United States.
Other procedures making the top five list included breast augmentation, liposuction, and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
Top Minimally Invasive Facial Cosmetic Procedures
There were 15.7 million minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in 2017. All five of the top treatments targeted the face.
- BOTOX®: Used to relax the muscles that cause fine lines and wrinkles, BOTOX is the most popular non-surgical treatment currently available. In 2017, there were 7.23 million BOTOX treatments performed.
- Dermal fillers: Versatile in their use, dermal fillers are injectable treatments used to address a wide range of concerns. Depending on the unique needs of the individual, dermal fillers can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles around the mouth, nose, eyes, brows, and forehead. Some formulas can even retain moisture and hydrate the skin for a more youthful look. In 2017, there were 2.69 million treatments administered.
- Chemical peels: Used to exfoliate damaged outer layers of the skin, chemical peels can improve acne scars, sun-damaged skin, fine lines and wrinkles, irregular pigmentation, rough skin, and more. There were 1.37 million chemical peels performed in the United States in 2017.
- Laser hair removal: This treatment utilizes highly concentrated laser light energy to penetrate the hair follicles and hamper future hair growth. In 2017, there were 1.1 million treatments administered in the United States.
- Microdermabrasion: Used to exfoliate the skin and promote natural collagen production, microdermabrasion can reveal smoother, more vibrant looking skin. There were approximately 740,287 microdermabrasion procedures performed in 2017.
Cosmetic Surgery Is Becoming More Popular
The study performed by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reports a 2 percent increase in cosmetic procedures since 2016. Both surgical and non-surgical treatments are becoming more popular. However, the trend toward minimally invasive techniques is notable: Since the year 2000, non-surgical treatments have increased by 200 percent.
Contact Our Practice Today
More and more patients are taking advantage of facial plastic surgery and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures. If you are interested in learning more about the services offered at our practice, schedule a consultation with Dr. Newman. During your visit, he can help you determine which treatments will deliver the results you desire. Contact us online anytime or give us a call at (203) 656-1517.