Prepare for Fall and Winter with Cosmetic Skin Damage Repair
By Dr. Fredric Newman on October 07, 2016
Fall and winter may be a wonderful time for cozying up next to a warm fire, but the colder temperatures can wreak havoc on your skin. The cold, dry air is only partially to blame for skin damage during this time of year. Frequent hot showers, hours in front of a warm fire, and blaring heaters all contribute skin dryness during the fall and winter months. The good news is that you can undergo skin treatments to rejuvenate your appearance. Skin treatments can improve the texture of your skin and protect it from damage during the colder winter months. Prepare for fall and winter with cosmetic skin damage repair with treatment at Dr. Fredric Newman's Darien, CT practice.
Fall and Winter Skin Damage
The fall and winter can leave the skin dry, cracked, and itchy. As the weather chills, many find the appearance of their skin worsens. Why is this? Fall and winter weather is often accompanied by lower humidity levels and wind, both of which can dry out and irritate the skin. Seeking shelter indoors during the colder months doesn't always help improve skin dryness. In fact, it can make it worse. Heaters and fires contribute to dry air. Even taking long hot showers or baths can strip the skin of moisture, leaving it feeling chapped, itchy, or irritated.
Sun damage also remains a concern during the fall and winter months. Many people forget to wear sunscreen when the days are colder. Sun damage is just as likely during cold fall and winter days. Snow can even amplify the damaging effects of UV rays, as the bright white snow reflects the sun's rays.
Skin Treatments to Enhance the Skin
Seeking professional skin treatment can repair fall and winter skin damage and help protect the skin during cold months, or any time of the year. Dr. Newman offers a variety of cosmetic treatments to enhance the skin, improving both texture and appearance. Some of the most popular treatments to repair the skin during the fall and winter months include:
- Laser skin resurfacing: Laser skin resurfacing involves the gentle application of a special laser, called a fractionated erbium laser, to remove the outer damaged layers of the skin. This encourages the skin's healing process and collagen production for improved texture and tone. Laser skin resurfacing can help minimize the appearance of age spots, hyperpigmentation, and fine lines.
- IPL photofacial: An IPL photofacial can help reverse the signs of sun damage, skin redness, and areas of dark, uneven pigmentation.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is another popular treatment to improve skin texture. Microdermabrasion helps soften the skin and remove rough, dull skin cells through a gentle exfoliation process. Aluminum oxide crystals are applied to the skin to help slough off old, damaged cells and stimulate new cell growth. Not only does microdermabrasion help improve skin suppleness, it can also reduce the appearance of sun damage and wrinkles and may be repeated for continued results.
How to Protect Your Skin During Fall and Winter
After undergoing professional skin treatment, it's important to take steps to protect your results during the colder months of the year. You can help maintain the results of your treatment by:
- Following all post-treatment directions
- Scheduling regular treatment sessions as recommended by your plastic surgeon
- Limiting exposure to cold, biting air
- Using a humidifier to add moisture to dry, heated indoor air
- Taking shorter showers or reducing water temperature
- Regularly applying moisturizers
- Drinking plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated
Discover Your Treatment Options
To find out which treatments can help improve your skin this fall and winter, or any time of year, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Newman.
Related to This
“Dr. Newman listened but he also educated me. In addition to his results, it really came down to the confidence that he instilled in me.” - Kim, Actual Patient